NEWS/CONTESTS


Thursday, September 19, 2013

Countdown to MIDNIGHT LIES--Day Three

Hey All! Thanks for returning as we continue the countdown to the release of MIDNIGHT LIES. Congrats to Aileen Smith for winning yesterday's prize of the Tantor audio of MIDNIGHT SECRETS and a $10 Amazon gift card!

Here's another favorite scene for you. It's Quinn's first experience in Midnight and his first meal at Faye's Diner:


Quinn drove through downtown Midnight. Sam had told him a little about her hometown but seeing it up close and personal made him more aware of who Samantha Wilde really was. A small town girl with somewhat old-fashioned values. Other than her beauty, that was one of the things that had attracted him to her. He’d never seen such a unique blend of confidence and shyness. The first time she had smiled at him, he had been mesmerized, but it had been her first blush that had captivated and ensnared him.
He turned onto Magnolia Avenue and smiled at the sight before him. A large fountain in the middle of the town square in the shape of a Mimosa tree. He could only imagine that a much younger Sam had stood at the fountain and made wishes for her future. A grim thought wiped the smile off his face. One thing he was sure she hadn’t wished for was an asshole like him in her life.
He turned a corner and spotted a restaurant with a sign in the window proudly claiming to have the best fried green tomatoes in Alabama. Quinn parked in front of Faye’s Diner and got out of his car. Five seconds inside the restaurant, he became the center of attention. All conversations stopped and there wasn’t one person in the crowded restaurant who seemed embarrassed to be staring.
Torn between backing out or shouting a big hello to the room at large, Quinn instead nodded to no one in particular, pulled out a stool at the counter and sat. A tall, broad-shouldered woman with a fierce scowl and a slight mustache growled at him from behind the counter, “What’cha want?”
He glanced up at the daily specials displayed on the wall. “Cheese grits and shrimp any good here?”
“If I make it, it’s good.”
“I’ll have that with a glass of unsweet tea.”
The woman glared at him as if he’d asked for an illegal substance.
“Something wrong?”
She shrugged, turned around and shouted, “Give me a special and a fancy tea.”
“Unsweet tea is fancy?”
Instead of answering, she gave him another glare and walked away. 

And here's a snippet of another favorite review, this one from A Tasty Read Book Reviews: "What an AMAZING, TWISTED, MASTER MIND of a Romance...Definitely a Top Read for 2013." Here's the link to the entire review: A Tasty Read review of Midnight Lies

Today's prize is a signed paperback copy of CHANCES ARE, the tenth book in the Last Chance Rescue series, and a $10 Amazon gift card.
 To enter, answer the following question: What is the first romance book you can remember reading?

21 comments:

  1. it was a mills and boon a Christmas affair i cant remember the author but i do remember what the book cover looks like and im pretty sure ive still got it somewhere. It probably isnt the first book i read but its the one that sticks in my head from when i was kid ive re read it many times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and just because i was curious who the author was i went to amazon Christmas affair by Carole Mortimer

      Delete
  2. My first romance book was Johanna Lindsey's The Magic of You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly can't remember...I was so young, lol!!! I remember hiding them under my dresser!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HaHaHa..we were talking about this the other night. The first Romantic Suspense books I can remember reading was the Nancy Drew series....Nancy Drew and Ned Nickerson were the 'To Root For' couple. I was, maybe 9ish. Had to start somewhere....LOL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....I think it was Night Magic by Karen Robards. After that, never stopped reading Romance books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Secret by Julie Garwood. I still love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gone With the Wind. I read it so many times when I was in 7th grade that it fell apart, and I had to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I read it immediately after seeing the movie the summer before 7th grade. I loved that there was so much the book that was left out in the movie. It was great because I "knew" what the characters looked like from the movie. No one else but Clark Gable could be Rhett. I have read GWTW, and Wuthering Heights, a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first one I can remember reading is Danielle Steel's Palomino. I then read everything by her. I don't read many of her books anymore, but will still remember as my first favorite.
    When I got back into reading again about 8 years ago the first author I picked up and fell back in love with the romance genre was Julia Quinn and was The Duke and I. That is when I fell in love with The Bridgerton family.

    christinebails at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I thought that Superman comic books were somewhat romantic at the time. Hey what does a 10 year old know. The first book was probably a Harlequin book. I worked with a woman that read probably one book a day so I had a lot to borrow from.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nora Roberts's "Public Secrets" which has lasted as one of my all-time favorite romances. I love Nora's time progression stories. You get such a fantastic sense of who the characters are. And the romance is wonderful. It's one of the books I turn to now and again when I need a pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first was Julie Garwood's "The Bride."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read V.C. Andrews books when I was younger but Twilight got me started on my now book/reading addiction! I read all types of romance books. Love this series! Thanks for the chance to win a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Donovan series by Elizabeth Lowell. Still holds a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First 'adult' romance book I can remember reading was a Mills and Boon by Penny Jordan. Can't remember the name of it. I did read "teenage romance" though in high school (back in the 80's). Does the Sweet Valley High series count as romance???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy mcGowan
    First romance was Skye O'Malley books by Beatrice Small!! So Good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast. I found it in the Urban Fantasy section (which was what I read at the time).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much everyone for sharing the first romance you remember reading! I honestly can't recall the title of my first romance book but I'm almost certain it was by Emily Loring. Anyone remember her? She was fabulous.

    Congrats to Squenn for winning a signed copy of CHANCES ARE and a $10 Amazon card! Squenn, please email at ella@ellagracebooks.com to discuss prize delivery.

    Hope everyone comes by for today's post. Got lots to share plus a fabulous giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The first romance book I read was First Impressions I think by Nora Roberts!!! Than I started getting into the real romance book such as fifty shades and YA!!! <3

    ReplyDelete